Friday, February 15, 2013

Blessings in Disguise

Hello everyone! Instead of a ministry update, I wanted to share with you how God has blessed me personally in unexpected ways in the past few weeks. I had a minor surgery last Friday, February 8. It went well, and I have been home recovering since last Saturday. (Email me if you want to know more details; I am perfectly fine and should be back to normal in another week or so!)

Some of you know how much I dislike medical procedures (anything involving needles or blood!) and how "resting" is not one of my favorite activities (!!). But I am thankful for this experience because of the ways God has taught me and blessed me:

Meals
I recently began attending a Bible study for English-speaking women who live in La Ceiba. Some are missionaries, and some are ex-pats; several are married to Hondurans. It has been fun and encouraging to start meeting with them. It turns out that several women decided to bring us meals in the first few days after the surgery! Not only was the food itself a blessing, but it was incredibly thoughtful for them to reach out to me so soon after meeting me. I am looking forward to seeing the group next week, and I am also excited to get to know them better and learn from them!

Books
My friend J came over to give me some bread she made (I have not gone hungry!) and let me borrow some of her books. This was a good way for me to keep me lying down, and I have had a great time reading. Usually I read ministry-related or linguistics material, but it had been awhile since I'd read some good historical fiction.

Prayer
Our pastor and his wife (one of my good Garifuna friends) came over the night before the surgery to pray with me. When I told other friends here about the surgery so they could pray, I sensed that God was using this experience to show me how people here care for me. Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in activities and projects for others, and I can take for granted how those around me want to pray for me and encourage me, as well.

My "Nurse"
One of the best parts of the past week has been being spoiled by Fernando, who has been the best "nurse" I could ask for. :) In day-to-day life, it's easy to overlook the things I appreciate about him, such as how he makes me laugh, how he helps me relax (no small feat!), and how he is willing to do whatever he can to take care of me. This past week has given me a renewed sense of respect and gratitude for his self-sacrificial love for me.

I could mention more of God's good gifts from this past week:
  • How my mom makes me feel like she is right here with me even when though we're in different countries.
  • How people have emailed and called me.
  • How I have a better idea how to pray for those who deal with medical issues.
  • How God has used this time of rest to speak to me and refresh my spirit.

I enjoy pursuing goals and staying busy, but praise God for slowing me down and showing me His love in so many ways. He has reminded me that He is my Father, providing for me and ministering to me in unexpected ways.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul." (Psalm 23:1-3)

Another post will be on its way soon! Biniladün Bungiu súngubei (God bless you all).

No comments:

Post a Comment